Tuesday, July 26, 2011

One of the joys of parenting

Some of my greatest memories growing up with my brother are making tents out of our sheets.  I'm sure they started off basic, but after a while they were detailed.  So elaborate that they'd cover the whole hallway and then some!  We had 'rooms' and thankfully my parents let us sleep there once in a while.  I remember the sheets being hung up by yarn/string from doorknob to doorknob or we'd get crafty and use random things around the house to make "walls".  I'm laughing right now because I clearly remember one time that we almost caught our house on fire after we covered a lampshade with a sheet.  Psst:  BAD IDEA!!  :-) 

I love those memories and that's just one thing out of a million why it's great to be a parent.  You get to do the fun things you did as a child and recreate them with your child(ren)!

This was this past winter while we were snowed in for 4 days
 Austin's "Living area"
Austin's sleeping area 
Another set up. . . Austin's new "living area".  Complete with CARS on DVD! 
 
Tonight's tent:  Not as elaborate. . .
 
He insisted on sleeping with it closed!  HaHa 
Sneak peak when you open it up 
Poor baby is passed out cold!

His tent from a few days ago.  I originally was thinking he'd sleep on his old crib matteress, but he insisted on sleeping inside the pack n' play!  HaHa
CHEESE! 

I'm not sure if it's a coincedence or what, but Austin has been sleeping in later ever since he's been sleeping in his tent.  Instead of waking up at 6:30/7am bright-eyed and bushy tailed, he's awake around 8/8:15!  It's only happened 2 days in a row, but WOW, we'll take it!

It's memories like this that melt my heart. I can't wait to share more of my childhood memories with him as he grows up!

3 comments:

Rachel Moss said...

This is great! It's hilarious that he decided to sleep in the PnP. Maybe he's sleeping longer because it stays darker in his tent?

Doug and Kelli said...

I can totally remember sleeping over at your house and making tents. Those were the good ole days!

The Jepperson's said...

That is awesome! I had great memories doing that as a kid as well! Loved it! We do that with Hunter too. He thinks it is the greatest thing ever!