Monday, May 31, 2010

In Honor of Memorial Day


(this picture was taken from here )


On this Memorial Day, May 31st, 2010 my family and I went to the DFW National Cemetary for their annual Memorial Service.  We weren't sure what to expect since it was our first time there but let me tell you - it will NOT be our last.  From now on this will be our annual Memorial Day tradition!  It was such a humbling and honored experience to be apart of! 


We arrived early (it started at 11 PROMPTLY) and were amazed at how crowded it already was.  We knew it would be crowded but when we showed up ONE hour early we were in awe of the lines to get through.  What a beautiful problem to have :-)  Once we picked out a spot my mom and Carolyn settled down as we ventured off to see the surrounding sites.  Thankfully my mom brought a big umbrella and two sheets to sit on.  Guess it's a good thing she never cleans her trunk out LOL!!!!!  After we settled in our spots, Scott, Austin, my dad, and I went to go see the cannons that they had out in preperation for the Cannon Salute during the service.

Checking out the cannons

After we checked the cannons out and grabbed a few free bottles of water that the Boy Scouts of America were passing out we headed back to our spot.  Of course, with a two-year-old in tow bringing reinforcements are a MUST!!  I brought along his faves: Red Car (Lightening McQueen), Blue Car, "Mater wa" (Tow Mater), "Big Truck" (Green Peterbilt), and "Hippy Car" (Filmore) to keep him entertained and occupied. 
Austin did Fantastic!!  He was either wandering within a few feet from us (we had an empty space to the side and front of us), playing with his cars or sitting in the stroller or my lap snacking and drinking plenty of water.  We are all so impressed and proud of him. 

The memorial service was so much more than what I expected.  The Cannon salute and the Fly over gave me goosebumps and it was so moving.  I can't express into words what it felt like to stand there watching it with my own eyes and ears.  When the Bagpipes started playing that was just another example of how thousands of people can be silenced. 


After the service, we all walked over to Patrick's (my Father-In-Law) gravesite.  We were so touched that someone came by sometime and dropped off flowers.  We don't know who it was who came by or when they came by, but we were just grateful they did and remembered him.  He was such an amazing man with a beautiful heart!   


I am so eternally grateful/thankful to the men and women who are currently fighting for our freedom as well as to the fallen heroes and soldiers currently (or have been) missing in action.  May God Bless them All!!
(Picture/Poem derived from HERE )

3 comments:

Rachel Moss said...

What a great Memorial Day tradition!

The Ziebarth Family said...

That looks like something we should do next year! Thanks for sharing sweetie!

Kristine said...

Awesome girl! We actually went the day before because my HUbby had to work. But, he has always wanted to go on Memorial Day. I read him your blog, and he said "yeah, we really need to try hard to go next year."