Wednesday, December 15, 2010

BakeFest 2010

This year was the 4th year my mom and I got together to bake.  We started 5 years ago, last year we were on 'hiatus' due to the passing of Patrick, and would get together to bake for family & friends.  The very first year - or maybe it was the 2nd year? - we started at like 9am and didn't finish until after 5!  It was EXHAUSTING!!  We made 2-3 dozen of each item and I believe we made at least 5 different kinds of cookies, plus breads, and fudge.  It was so tiring!  That was, or course, before the awesome KitchenAid Mixer my mom received as a gift from my Aunt (her sister).  That little handy device has saved us hours in the kitchen and although we're less 'built' in the arms, we're happy to have the machine do the work!
So after we decided what to make this year, we gathered our supplies.   
After that year of cooking ALL day we decided to minimize ourselves.  So this year we decided to make:
1 Large Loaf of Pumpkin/chocolate chip Bread
1 huge batch of homeade Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 batch of Rice Krispie Treats dyed red for the Holidays
1 yummy thing Fudge *staple!*
1 package of Sugar cookies w/ frosting we decorate

We had a lil helper this year 
But instead he chose to stay out of the kitchen LOL  Maybe he remembered the comment Daddy made on Thanksgiving about having "too many hens in the kitchen?!"  and since there were two women in the kitchen baking, he decided to steer clear and do his OWN baking!  Good thing Nonna has a pint-sized version! 
 
Notice the oven mitt!  He kept saying, "Oh HOT!!" LOL
He was making muffins -- he told us so! 
Around 1 we had family over - My mom had her Uncle Russ (my Grandma's older brother) and her cousin Gloria over.  We also had HER daughter, Jennifer and Jennifer's daughter over.  It was so neat to meet this side of my family since I had never met them before!   We all had a great time and Jennifer's daughter, who turned 3 in July, hit it off with Austin right away.  It was funny, we were trying to figure out what we were all to each other.  I mean I know that my Mom's Uncle is MY Great-Uncle and Austin's Great-Great Uncle (SO COOL!!!!), but what was Gloria and Jennifer and Her daughter to me and Austin?!?!?!?!  Well here's how it works, thanks to my friend Hopi who explained it so clearly:
Cousins share a grandparent, second cousins a great-grandparent, etc.
The once removed comes in when you are relating different generations to each other.
So, if your mom and her are first cousins, then they must share a grandparent....
That would make your mom's cousin your first cousin once removed
(because she is a different generation)
but her daughter would be your second cousin.
The daughter's child would be your second cousin once removed
 (again, different generation)
and then Austin and the little daughter would be 3rd cousins.
 Since they must share a great-great grandparent.


So Gloria is MY first cousin, once removed and Austin's first cousin twice removed
Jennifer is MY second cousin and Austin's 2nd cousin, once removed
Her daugher (sorry can't remember her name?!) is my 2nd cousin, once removed & Austin's 3rd cousin

CONFUSED YET!  HAHAHAHA  Family trees are so fascinating!
 
Uncle Russ & Gloria
Decorating the sugar cookies with family!

2 comments:

Brooklynn said...

Love your hair!!!! :)

Rachel Moss said...

I am a big fan of my KichenAid mixer, too! It's so nice to get a head start on cleaning up my baking messes while the KA is hard at work.