Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Busy, Busy!

Saying that the past two weeks have been busy and stressful is an understatement!  As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm starting a new position at a new hospital and therefore I'm doing a 2-week stint (HAHA  like my choice of words :-) ) in hospital/nursing orientation.  Scott, Austin and I have adapted well so far, although it's been hard leaving at 6am every morning and not getting home till 5:30.  I'm definately not cut out for the 9-5 sit down desk job!  I'd much rather work my 12-hr shifts 3 times a week, leave at 5:50am and come home at 8 than what I'm doing now.  Here's how everyone's doing. . . although I really honestly haven't seen much of my two men in the past 11 days. . .

Scott:
Scott's doing well.  He's really stepped up while I've been gone and seems to be handling it well. . . although he has been retreating to his "MAN CAVE" a lot to play his computer games with his friends that are online at their homes.  Thanks technology for allowing that so that he's at least home and/or we don't have 2-3 other people at our place till midnight! LOL  He's been taking Austin to school every morning on his way to his school and I'm sure that's a real adjustment for both.  He's currently taking 5 classes and is juggling being a full-time daddy (since I've been working M-Sat the past week & this week) and I'm so proud of Scott - he made a 92 (!) on his Trigonometry exam and that's a class he's been fearing for a while!  WHOOO HOOOOO 

Austin:
Austin's new school is a blessing for us all.  Austin seems to really love it and comes home daily with arts and crafts he's done.  He is constantly coming home dirty which in my opinion is a great sign - means they've gotten to play hard outside (he has playground time 45min-1hr 2x's a day) and he told me he "has friends and we play on playground"  Austin has seemed to adjust well to going to his new school and it's been nice that we have the option of taking him M-F although our plan is for him to not go more than 4 days a week.  Last Friday, Scott & Austin had daddy/son bonding day and yesterday (Tuesday) my mom watched him and so he was able to have Nonna/grandson bonding! 

Me:
Hospital orientation has really kicked my butt.  I'm not used to waking up at 5am to get ready for work M-F and have really been spoiled with working the weekend plan.  I'm still working the weekend plan at Methodist Dallas although I've put in "1st cancel" on every Sunday just so I get at least 1 day off a week!  I'm really pumped about this new organization/hospital I'll be working at and excited about the future!  Although I'm really really really nervous. . . they do computer charting and we've (the new RN's) have spent the past 3 days learning how to computer chart and it's a doozy!  Hopefully I'll be able to understand it better when I go to my unit tomorrow.  I'm going to the NICU tomorrow for the first time and, again, I'm nervous.  Nervous about meeting new people, learning 'their way', and adapting what I've been taught at Methodist to what the "Presby way" is.  We'll see. . .  but I've heard great things so I'm sure it's going to be fine. 

I promise next time I'll have pictures :-)

No comments: