Monday, June 22, 2009

Water Works

Now that Austin's a little bit older it is so much fun to see him interact and play in the pool. It's amazing because this time last year he was in the pool ONCE but this year he's been in and has slowly warmed up to it!! It's funny because about a month ago he freaked at being in the kiddie pool, but loves being in the "big boy" pool - - go figure!!!

Here are some pics of recent swimming-time fun.


Here's also a video a friend took of Austin going underwater. It was funny because I've been working with him to walk towards me, either on the edge or on a step, lean and and I'll catch him - all before getting his face wet since I didn't think he'd tolerate it well. . . . and quite frankly, I didn't want him to be freaked out of being in the pool!! Well today, we were doing that just fine: walk towards momma, lean in, momma catches, repeat till he gets bored of it. Well he got bored so I sat him back to splash in the 5in. shallow step. Everything was going great until I got distracted for a split second. I turned my head to say something then heard a splash! Apparently Austin didn't want to wait on momma to jump, he jumped in and when I turned my head he was underwater!! Naturally, I freaked out!!! I pulled him up and he was acting like it was no big deal - whatev. Once my heart calmed, I continued to dunk him to see how he'd react - he did amazingly well. He's finally grown into being that swim baby that his family thought he'd be. I was SO SO proud of him. He was a rockstar today :-)

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm so proud of Austin!! And totally impressed too. Watch out mama, that boy has swimming in his genes. You're not gonna be able to keep him outta the pool by the end of summer. I love how calm and collected he looks after you dunk him in the water. He's a natural!! Most babies choke, gag, and scream after going underwater like that. SO cool!