Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day 2: The ref says. . . YOU'RE OUT!!!!!



By the time I arrived at camp Friday afternoon (roughly around 3:15pm) after walking 20+ miles in 8 hrs, including stopping at the "urination stations" and lunch, I was tired.  My legs felt like they weighed 20 lbs each and I sounded like a man (aka I was hoarse).  I decided to shower/relax, prop my feet up - which shockingly enough didn't hurt, rest my legs so my calves would stop cussing at me, and enjoy the fact that I completed day one of the Breast Cancer 3-day.  However, by 6:30pm my hoarseness got worse, even after 2 steamy cups of decaffinated tea.  I started to have pain in my chest during inspiration (breathing) so I decided to go the the medical tent.  There they listened to me, took my vitals and couldn't figure out what was up.  My lungs were clear but they went ahead and gave me two puffs of Albuteral just in case - which didn't make it better - and some prevacid to coat things.  My temp was high, of course since I downed 2 cups of hot tea less than 5 min ago and they were threatening to send me home for good.  I was sweetly reminding them of the tea and asked if they wouldn't mind taking it after 10 min or more.  The 3-Day policy states if you have a fever of 100.4 or greater you are sent home immediately and aren't allowed to return.  My "temp" was 100.3.  Ten minutes later it was normal at 98.3 degrees, therefore after the meds I was sent back to camp. 

At about 12:30am I needed to pee.  Mom was awake having the same issue - staying in the warmth of our sleeping bags vs. going out in the wind/cool air to pee in a porta-potty.  However our bladders overroad any logic (lol) and off we trecked to pee in the dark.  I felt fine - still hoarse - but my breathing wasn't uncomfortable so after urinating (TMI I know!) we settled back into our tent.  Once inside I sucked on a cough drop and then it started.  About 5 min later, I started to feel quesy. . . Not sure if it was the cold air that did it or the empty stomach with the mentholated/sugary cough drop but this momma was feeling ill. :-(  There was no where to put my "contents" except a ziploc baggy so I went to the Medical tent to see if they could take my temp to make sure I wasn't coming down with something.  Once there I had to wake the Doctor and Nurse who were sleeping in the Medical tent with the other 'fallen' walkers.  They took my temp (97.9) but I started shaking from being too cold and then it snowballed.  I started dry-heaving.  Once they saw that they gathered my info and called Scott, who was 1 hr away.  At this time it was roughly 2:15am.

While waiting for Scott to pick me up - Austin was sleeping soundly at the casa thanks to Grammie who woke up, drove 10 min and stayed at our house! - I was given immodium and a warming blanket.  I kept on feeling nauseous so in typical Tanya fashion I tried to "force vomit" because once I throw up I'm Good To Go!!  However, I wish I knew what I know now. . . that if you vomit YOU ARE OUT!!!!  :( :( :( :(  Silly me should've just stayed in the tent. :-/ 

When I awoke at 7:15am in my own bed I felt great - still hoarse - but no upset stomach and no achy legs.  I was good to go, but they still wouldn't let me walk.  I had to miss out on 20 more miles and a whole days' worth of walking for a great cause.  I was able to return that afternoon/early evening but was thoroughly bummed!!! 
While waiting to get my WHITE Creditial badge back, I came across this medic and nurse.  We saw MANY men supporting the cause for Breast Cancer in comidic fashion!

The only postivite note was that I was able to cheer along my fellow teammates as they crossed the finish line to complete day 2 of walking!!!

(Lori, My mom, Me, Khristy, Rakel, Carolyn & Melissa at the end of Day 2)

MORE TO COME. . . .STAY TUNED!

3 comments:

Rachel Moss said...

So sorry you had to sit one day out.
Alyssa said she saw you in her line once before the closing ceremonies, but she didn't say anything because she didn't think you would remember her.

Heather said...

Omigosh Tanya!! You poor thing. I am sooooo sorry you ended being too sick to walk on your 2nd day. I do have to say, I just loved your colorful/creative writing when explaning things. Because despite me feeling bad for you for being sick, I was laughing hysterically at how you put things.
Oh, and as for having to pee in the middle of the night, I would have been up at least 3-4 times having to use the port-a-potty. I have a bladder the size of a pea! It's really sad actually. lol. Anyway, I can't wait to read more.

Heather said...

Oh, and I also wanted to say that I'm sorry I didn't get back to some of your texts. I told you I was horrible about texting!! We were out of town for the weekend and didn't have very good reception (desert), then when I did get it, it was kinda late, which meant it was even later where you are. I know, excuses excuses. I'm sorry Tanya! =(