Friday, November 6, 2009

D/FW Breast Cancer 3-Day: Day 1

It's finally here!!! 
 The 2009 Dallas/ Fort Worth
Breast Cancer 3-Day is FINALLY HERE!!!!

On Friday, November 6th, 2900 walkers took to the streets of North Dallas for such an amazing cause - finding a cure for Breast Cancer.  Together we raised over 7.5 MILLION dollars in that effort and I am so proud that my mom and I were apart of it all!!!  Since March we've been training, fundraising, and most importantly raising awareness!  

I've posted in the past threads of the training walks we've done, but here is the picture of my first training walk:

(back in late March walking only 3 miles)
 
. . . and this is mom and I in the middle of Day 3 (after walking 10 miles):



On Thursday night we stayed at a hotel near the opening ceremonies with another team, No Walker Left Behind, since we had to be in North Plano (about 1 hr 15 min from where I live) at 5:30am.  It was one of the best things we did!  Carolyn, along with Austin, drove us up there - through downtown Dallas rush hour traffic (UGH!!) - and enjoyed a nice dinner at Olive Garden. . . until a three foot little monster arrived telling us it was WAY past his bedtime!!  So we gathered up the food that was just served to us and headed to our hotel to eat there.  Our room was really nice:



After waking up at 4am (yawn!) and eating a healthy/heavy breakfast at 4:30am, we were on the bus and loaded by 5:15am.  Mom and I were ready to rock and roll towards the Opening Ceramonies which took place at Plano Park Center.  Can anyone say "Coffee!?!"



After arriving at the Opening Cermonies location, we met up with our team members, checked in and eagerly awaited for the Opening Ceramonies to start at 6:30.  While waiting we of course had to do many photo opts :-)


My Creekside Cares teammates:
Carolyn, Melissa, Margo, Khristy, me, Lori, Courtney, & Rakel

Of course had to get the feet in there -
they're the ones that were going to take us from 0-60 in 3 days. 
Had to give them credit!!


Part of the Opening Cermonies - we were in the front 1/4 of the mass

Once O.C. started and we did some stretching - which by the way is unrealistic with a big mob of people crammed into a tiny space - we started our 1st mile. . . first of many to come!!!  I'll write another post about all the sights and signs we came across because there were just so many things to keep us motivated and energized all along the 60-mile way!! 
This is what I saw at Pit Stop #5 - let me just say if I see anymore signs or anyone else telling me "You're almost there"  I was going to scream at them LOL

This was by far the best view I saw on Day 1.  By mile 18 I had a pain in my rear (literally!!), my calves were on fire and my throat was hoarse from screaming and cheering all day, so the last 2 miles seemed like 10. 

WALKING INTO CAMP!!!


WE MADE IT!!!!  TOGETHER 2900 Men and Women Walked 20.4 miles!!!!!  Now onto day two. . . if only my legs would cooperate!

3 comments:

Heather said...

WOW, what an amazing first day!! I bet you had a great feeling of accomplishment and pride within you...minus the "rear" pain. LOL. I really don't mean to laugh though. You poor thing!
I just LOVE all the pictures. It made me feel like I was right there along with you. I'm proud of you Tanya. Ok, onto the next post... =D

Nichole said...

Wow, my legs and rear hurt just reading that! Great Job, Tanya!

Bradshaw's Buzz said...

Niki, yes my butt hurt the worst of all. All those inclines but at least I got a killer workout out of it! LOL