Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Here's to the Sandbox Babies. . . um well Nix that. Here's to the Sandbox Kids!

There!  That title is much more fitting although in my heart - and their momma's - all of the Sandbox kids will forever be known as the Sandbox Babies.  (Read more about the Sandbox Babies here and more about the Sandbox Babies here)

While Scott was over in Lubbock for a week with the high school youth attending church camp, Austin and I decided to venture up north to Oklahoma City, OK to visit some of our Sandbox friends!  We don't get to visit each other often, maybe two times a year, so this trip was very exciting.  Monday evening I packed our bags, brought along our necessities (swim suits, diapers, plenty of snacks for the trip, his nap essentials (blankie, cars, & baby), ect) as well as some of Austin's toys to ensure a smooth car ride. 

On Tuesday morning I awoke bright and early and finished up the last minute tidbits before getting up Austin.  After a change of clothes, a fresh diaper (him not me! LOL), and a top off of the gas tank, we were on our way to OKC by 6:30am!  I was so pumped and proud -- that was my intention to leave by that time and I made it.  Go me LOL  I was hoping that since I woke Austin up out of a deep slumber he would fall back asleep, but who was I kidding?!?  He was up and taking in the sights the second we left.  He did amazingly well for the 3 hour and 45 min car trip!  He'd grab the books, toys or cars out of the basket and then when he was done he'd either put them back or insisted that they ride up with me in the passenger seat.  That honor was mainly for the Cars cars: Red Car (Lightening McQueen), Blue Car (Doc), Tow Mater, Hippy Car (Filmore), Big Truck (Green Peterbelt), Ramone, & Sheriff.  Yes, we brought them all!!  If we didn't the world would end.  No, truly it would! :-) 



About 2 hours into our trip I decided that a stretch n' walking break was very much needed.  Austin absolutely agreed since he started shaking his legs back in forth begging to be let loose and overall just getting v-e-r-y antsy and whining for no reason but to escape the prison called the carseat.  We stopped at a McDonalds in Ardmore, OK thinking they had a playarea, but boy was I wrong.  No playarea and not much room to roam, what's up with that?!  So after about 5 min of standing we settled back in the car and proceeded on.  The stretch n' walk break was very much needed because after that we were all good to go.  We arrived at Erika's house around 10:15 and from then on out had a great time. 

Unfortunately I didn't take much pictures because Mary, Erika and I were having too good of a time watching Aria, Hunter and Austin play while we were catching up and chatting.  Erika and Todd were gracious enough to open up their home for us so that we all could have a more relaxed playdate than venturing out to the zoo or somewhere in the heat.  That was definately appreciated and I'm sure Mary agreed, especially since Mary is 6 weeks away from delivering Baby Girl #2!  So between playing with all of Hunters toys (thanks Bud for sharing!!) and Mary bringing over an awesome pool we all had a blast!! 




After swim time, we settled the kids down to watch Toy Story since we were doubtful they would actually nap.  Boy were we wrong!  I especially was.  As I was setting up the pack n' play that I brought Austin happily grabbed all 7 of his cars while I took his blankie and his baby.  He threw the cars into the pack n' play and within seconds of me putting him down he was O-U-T!!! 

After waking him up (I wanted him to fall asleep on the ride home) after napping for 2 hours we all settled down and ordered pizza for dinner.  After filling our tummy tanks, Austin and I loaded up all of our gear, changed him into his PJ's and said our good byes so we could head off towards home.  Ironically we left to head home around 6:30pm and funny enough we headed towards OKC at 6:30am.  It's the silly things you think of while driving 3.5-4 hrs LOL!! 

Yet again, Austin did amazing!  This time we didn't even need to stop.  We barrelled through and made it home by 10:15pm.  Not once did Austin ask to get up or fuss.  He kept himself entertained with all of his toys and was just happy to 'veg out' and chill I think.  Guessing the 8 hours of playdate did him in! 


Shockingly though he didn't sleep for even a second although a few times he'd get into his famous sleep position in his carseat.  He just didn't want to miss the sights and sounds.  He very rarely gets to stay up past his bedtime so he was especially alert once the sun set!
The sun setting near the Red River

WELCOME HOME!!!

We had such a fun time and I can't wait to do it again

3 comments:

Kristine said...

http://prattrecipes.blogspot.com/

I am no chef! :) I just put recipes that we like and I am going to print the recipe blog into a book like I do my other blog each year.

He did do great!! Nice job mom for getting lots of things to do and keep him busy!

Nichole said...

I'm so glad the ride was smooth and the visit was great! So Jealous!

Brooklynn said...

It's right next to Campuzano's off 9th Street. Super yummy and not too expensive, they serve lunch too. But it's only open from 7-3.

Soooo good!!!!! :)